Just to add a bit. The media love stories like this. With some interesting
visual they can link to.
Even if nobody cares about the cause, simply the fact that a bunch of
professional people from around the globe got together to make a protest film
is enough to make a decent article.
I can imagine the media angle being something like 'the software that made
Jurassic park is to be made extinct. They revived the dinosaurs but can these
boffins now revive their beloved software'
 (which I know is not strictly accurate as that wasn't xsi but still)