Sebastian,

It may be easier to talk because I think a lot is getting lost in translation
here...

We acquired Softimage for many reasons including a talented engineering team
and the fact that they had great expertise creating IP like ICE that we wanted
to leverage for projects like skyline
Open sourcing software would mean removing all parts of the IP that were
licensed from third parties as well as Autodesk IP that we do not want to make
public. This would require a lot of resources to do. And then we would have to
fix it because with all that code missing it would not compile, and even if it
did, it would not be the Softimage you know today. So open source is not really
a serious proposal. It seems a great idea but it is completely impractical.
Similarly selling it is not an option for similar reasons.

It is factually inaccurate to state that we do no  development and just buy
things. We do a lot. We have large teams of engineers and we invest significant
amounts of money paying their salaries - you just need to visit our facilities
to see that. The bulk of our code is developed internally from scratch.

OpenSubdiv, Alembic, Open EXR are not acquired code - they are open-sourced
standards that the industry is adopting that we support. It seems clear that
you feel that those standards are of little use but I know that most of the
industry wants us to support them. Customers are specifically asking us to
embrace those standards and to NOT cook up proprietary formats of our own. And
it is not simple to adapt your products to support new standards. It requires
investment and work.

Bifrost is in-house tech. Yes the Naiad team contributed their expertise but it
was built from the ground up by Autodesk.

Building a new DCC app from the ground up in the traditional way is really not
a realistic expectation. It nearly killed both Alias and Softimage. We could
take that risk if we were a start-up with no customers but we have hundreds of
thousands. And they need their current products to move forward not to stop for
the next 7 years while we try to do this. The bifrost approach is a far more
effective one. Build new components that integrate into the core of our
applications - as is vieeport 2.0 , the work we have done on the 3ds max
viewport and other capabilities we are currently working on

maurice

Maurice Patel