Here at Carbine, users like the MMB to repeat a menu command.  It's popular.
They're not as fond of tear off menus.  They don't hate tear off menus, but
given the choice they'll use a custom key as 1st option, custom toolbar as 2nd
option, and tear off menu as last option.  The issue being that tear off menus
don't allow for customized menus. You only get the existing menu structure in a
different place.

What users want is clutter free and minimal effort to execute commands or a
series of commands.  Tear off menus are good for situations where the entire
menu is a custom menu of commands like a custom toolbar would be, and the
commands in that menu are very closely related to the task at hand.  If the
menu is full of built-in commands, they're less liked because usually the user
only cares about one or two tools in the menu but is stuck having to take all
of them as part of the package deal resulting in clutter.  For example, go to
the property menu and you have entries for visibility, display, etc..., but
also a lot of unrelated tools such as rendermap or gator.  It's a very tall
menu but the user only wants 3 or 4 items out of 30.  If tear off menus allowed
individual items to be torn off and merged into a toolbar, then that would be
ideal.

Implementing MMB to repeat a command in a menu would be a popular move.

Matt