They just don't work through and through in my experience.
They don't scale well, they are clunky to set up, impossible to iterate on,
and generally very, very old stuff.
I've seen them put to good use once or twice, but for very quick, very low
res (by muscle standards) stuff. I would a lot sooner use a set of well
engineered wraps and skinning tricks at any scale than Maya muscles.