I wouldn't even say it's generally true.
The memory footprint of a scene to be rendered is hardly ever that directly
related to the footprint of the scene in the DCC client.
Acceleration structures paired with what global features you use alone can
reduce or multiply the footprint at any given bucket fetch by an order of
magnitude.
How the engine deals with the memory/recompute trade-off also makes a
considerable difference, as well as how it passes and chooses to fetch and
dump data from the client.

To top the lot off, even simple things like textures hardly have the same
impact, especially when you look at how certain threading models can
multiply those like rabbits or not (e.g. PRMan for the longest time would
absolutely brutalize your RAM for practically any threading unit it
spawned), and how the same thing is usually reduced to proxies first in the
DCC app.

The DCC client also doesn't have to keep pre-allocated considerable amounts
of space for multiple raster-like buffers, something that engines that keep
them live for AOV injection deal with, some of them popping a handful of
gigs right away just to pre-allocate those if memory is available to do it,
but it might keep around other large stashes of caches that a renderer
won't even remotely care about.

So all in all I still have to experience a relationship that direct between
"scene size", which is hazy to begin with, and memory footprint at render
time, that's long gone in these days of PPS uber shaders and PBL rendering.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!