> I also find that when I select multiple objects in a hierarchy, the
> second last thing I selected goes white, but the thing I select stays
> green. this makes it hard to tell weather I selected the object or not.

Many Maya commands like parent have a specific selection ordering where the
last selected item is important. (e.g. item to parent all the other selected
objects to) Therefore Maya draws the last selected object in a different color
for this reason.

See Window > Preferences > Color Settings > Active: Objects vs. Lead object
--
Brent