Hey Guys
So I'm getting into Maya, and so far it's horrible.
I realize that Maya animators must be more passionate about 3D than me, because there is no way I would have put up with this shit for the last 10 years.
Rant aside, I was hoping someone could help me make sense of a few things.

1: selecting hierarchies:
I don’t understand why Maya insists on making the whole hierarchy green when I only select the top node. What is the benefit of this, and can I turn it off? I also find that when I select multiple objects in a hierarchy, the second last thing I selected goes white, but the thing I select stays green. this makes it hard to tell weather I selected the object or not.
Am I using it wrong?

2: Is there a way to interactively see my frames rendering? I know I can fcheck or load the rendered frames in aftreFX, but this doesn't help if my frames takes 20 min a frame. 3: I assume the outliner is there to do what the explorer in soft does, but half the things in my scene is missing. Is there a comprehensive scene navigator where I can see everything, like we can in the explorer?

Thanks, I'm going to stop here before I get on the drama-lama.