Out of the box for merging rigs and enveloped meshes....as far for Maya2013

None that I know.    I was very naive splitting the head from the body to
do the facial rig, thinking that I will be able to merge the whole thing
back easily as in Soft...

And I couldn't find a script to perform this task.

Emilio Hernández   VFX & 3D animation.