Actually we managed to get the bifrost meshed geometry out into Softimage
using Alembic, the only thing is that we couldn't import the bifrost CAVs
(vorticity and velocity) into Softimage.
Maya does export those CAVs into the Alembic though (we checked by
importing the same alembic file back into maya), we just cant access the
CAVs in Softimage. Maybe someone could give a hint on how to do that...

We are also trying to use Mtoa to export a .ass file from Maya/Bifrost, but
at this point we are still trying to work out how to shade the water
properly by accessing the bifrost mesh vorticity and velocity...

I would prefer if we could access the bifrost particle cache straight in
Softimage and then mesh it there and access the particle data to drive
whatever we need, but I think that is not possible imo.