Delta mush isn't a smooth di per se', it's a binding state trick.
You smooth a mesh and save the delta of points from full detail to smooth
in the bind pose, you then deform and smooth out the full mesh, and lastly
re-apply the deltas back on the deformed smooth mesh to reinstate the high
frequency detail and irregularities.

A basic implementation like that is quite simple actually, and that's why
it's kinda brilliant.

It's pretty easy to do with OOTB XSI actually if you use ICE to apply
shapes after the envelope, or use ICE to skin things in the modelling stack.

Take mesh, smooth it, shape animate from smooth to HR with shapes set to
local (it will use the local reference frame of each point).
Then apply your skinning, and apply a smooth deformer on top. Lastly apply
the local shape through ICE to recomputed point framesets.
The reference frameset is trivial, Y is the normal, X or Z is the first
edge projected on the normal's plane, the last axis is the cross product of
the two.
You also have ICE facilities for that, I believe, and if they match the
same system used by local shapes they should just work.

If you instead do the skinning in ICE in the modelling stack, then you have
even less work to do, as you can use local shapes OOTB (they are meant to
preserve local transforms in shape with something live going on in the
modelling stack).

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!