Given smoothing in ICE is always going to be fairly slow, I imagine if you
wanted some performance out of it using the DQ skinning compound, or even
just building up your own linear skinning, in ICE in the modelling stack
and using local shapes and the native smooth for the mush would be by far
the fastest option before taking on it with full fledged C++ custom nodes.
Unless you're only using ICE to re-apply the shape and not doing any
smoothing inside it, in which case you're probably on par.