I understand for non-trivial relationships custom editors would be useful. Set driven keys is a perfect example. We're not really talking about that though. We're talking about membership of a container where its a one to one relationship. 1 set to 1 object. Its either a member or not. I equivocate it to a parent-child relationship. Which you can do in the Outliner. Hope this can be considered for workflow enhancements in the future.

Best,
Eric T.