As you probably already know custom attributes are added via Attributes>Add
Attributes in an object's Attribute Editor.

You're asking, I think, can you have custom Attributes in a special panel like
is done in Soft.

You can add attributes anywhere, to nulls, to objects etc. If you want an
attribute with behavior applied to another object but need to manage separately
you can add that to a group or null then formulate the attribute to work on a
different object.

Custom attributes show up in the channel box of the object they are added to.

Or in the Extra Attributes section of the object where they can be isolated
from the rest of the transform channels. You must execute "Load Attributes" for
them to show up there.

If you want a similar kind of structure to what Soft permits, make a null
object and parent it under the main object, rename it to Controls or something
of the sort. Create all your custom attributes there and close all section to
its attribute editor other than Extra Attributes. From the channel box you can
"Hide" all the transform channels you don't want to see for this "control"
object (Right click>hide selected on each channel) making this a bit more
pleasant experience as a "custom  param" panel if you decide to use the channel
box to access the info.

--
Joey Ponthieux
LaRC Information Technology Enhanced Services (LITES)