if you mean using a thin client on the desk, to connect to a remote workstation
(in the server room) – then yes – have used this at a former studio.

overall it worked quite well.

on the thin client you would launch an app, on which you chose the workstation
to login to and then a full screen window opens on which you see the
workstations’ desktop – and you work you session.
It’s very intuitive – apart from a few keyboard combos (ctrl-alt-del is on the
thin client, so there’s a different combination to send that to the workstation)
You could use the thin client at any desk to log in to any equipped workstation
– handy at times – chaotic when your team members end up all over the place.
The overhead on the workstation is pretty much zero. The added card handles the
compression/communication – so you can push the workstation exactly as before.

there was hardware compression/decompression of all signals – so it meant
adding a dedicated card in the workstation - all data (kb, mouse, usb as well
as monitors) goes through network. afaik the screen refresh is done on the thin
client – which reduces the amount of data to be sent (no screens full of
pixels) but also makes sure that despite long cable length, image quality is
high . (compared to all KVM extenders I ever saw)

To the very demanding artist there is a barely noticeable lag and some
degradation – you can kind of make out the compression – but you do have to
look for it. We decided on using the thin clients only for 3D artists, not for
compositors. It would work for compositing most of the time, but when checking
final images/shots, occasional little flicks or spots from the compression are
disturbing. If you are the person who has 3 oversized monitors on his desk, and
expects to have film quality visuals while modeling – this might not be for you.

image quality can suffer from network load – as compression adapts some – and
at a few peak moments network was so taxed (not because of the thin clients)
that connections between clients and stations were lost massively. That’s
unfortunate and real disruptive – but once the load was balanced again you
would just login and the workstation was right where you left off – preferable
to crashes and shutdowns. But it’s something to be aware of - if you have a
problematic network, thin clients will add to the frustration.

An added benefit was that there was much less heat generated and electricity
used in the office rooms – in small cramped, badly ventilated and badly
equipped offices that can be a tangible benefit. I have memories of humming
workstations under desks, burning desklights and running ventilators everywhere
(including on an opened workstation case which is a very bad idea) creating an
unpleasant and unhealthy microclimate. The switch to thin clients was heavenly.
As were LED desklights.

Hope it helps some.
It’s a big step – that you need to consider carefully with your supplier (ours
was HP) – and ideally in a riskfree way, where you get the setup on test, with
the option to return if unsatisfactory – because some consequences/constraints
are unexpected and to a degree it’s a personal experience. I can very well see
this working marvelously in one studio and being a total no-go in another.
Now, I’m not getting the financial angle – to me a thin client is an added cost
– it would not replace any workstations or make them any less redundant. The
idea of a thin client is that the heavy lifting is done elsewhere –
workstation, server, on the cloud,...
If you mean using a thin client (as in: a very low specced computer) instead of
a workstation – that’s something else altogether.
Now, a thin client today might more powerful than a supercomputer of the past –
so there might be cases where it would work.
But if you want to get bang for buck, I’d look elsewhere – as a thin client is
not made to customize and beef up and ultimately to put decent specs in. I’d
look at barebones rather.