Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:27:49 +0200
From: Tim Leydecker <bauero...@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Virtual Apps
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com

In terms of workstation costs, HP&Dell may be frustrating to get into
when on a limited budget. The entry fee is already pretty high and
any basic feature will add up quickly to a really, really hefty pricetag.

It?s not all their fault, Intel has pricetags that are pretty much
unrivaled,
not just for Xeons.

It?s really hard to build reasonably priced Xeon based workstations
nowadays.

My DualXeon MacPro2008 was incredibly cheap for what it could do...

The good news is, there is now less need for a Dual Socket, Dual Xeon
12Core,
workstation machine with a quadro this or that card really when learning
3d&Comp.

It?s nice to have ultra fast machines of course but a decent Quadcore or
Sixcore or 8core
Single Socket Machine with a good Geforce 9xx and at least 32GB RAM
(more is better)
will be a nice machine to work with and render with. Add a system ssd
and its solid for
less than 1650 EUR. Maybe even including a reasonably good display, like
a mid-price Dell.

Not the fastest to have but a good educational experience for learning
to use a renderer properly, too.

How about finding an alternative vendor for a lease?

Have a reliable (local) shop build and maintain the machines, find a way
to make the leasing
less than three years, get a batch of refurbished machines to start with
and have those run
only 2 years, with a return contract or trade in type of deal?

You could still try to get some money/funds for a render server with
loads of bandwdth and diskspace?

That could last 3 years?

Cheers,

tim