I´ve worked quite a while on Softimage 2014Sp2 but didn´t use mental ray, happily ran Redshift3D with it. Mind you, I don´t do serious animation, fx or stuff like that, only modeling, lighting and shading elements.

Can´t say how well 2014SP2 would hold up for massive scenes or in terms of ICE functionality and such.

All in all, I liked it.

One thing to note, depending on the type of license, it may be better to try and sync Maya and Softimage versions, e.g. 2014 or 2015. In that case I would suggest Maya 2015Ext1SP6, as it brings some nice modeling tool functionality, especially control for aligning an object pivot while modeling.

The reason why to sync versions (depending n license) is that one then can run softimage and maya simultaneously from one license, e.g. 2015 where running a softimage 2014 and a maya 2015 wouldn´t work simultaneously off the same license. I may be wrong. There´s been changes there and this new subscribe, don´t own bs won´t make it easier---