From my experience

It might be worth mentioning that Octane 3.0 will have both GPU/CPU rendering.
Its Network rendering is incredibly easy to use and is very efficient.

Also the stand alone app is great for folks who use alembics as part of their
pipeline.

I find it easier to tweak to get what I want then Vray (I  only have V2 for
vray though so that might have changed a bit)

Arnold of the ones mentioned to me seems to give the best result out the box if
time is not an issue.

Redshift3d Fastest results out the box

If time isn’t a major factor then Renderman RIS still to me gives the best
looking result. There’s just a certain something there which you don’t seem to
get from the others (But that’s very much a personal thing)

Kind regards

Angus

From: Tim Leydecker [mailto:bauero...@gmx.de]
Sent: 07 August 2015 07:09 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: OT'ish: Redshift renderfarm with Softimage setup?

Hi Morton,

now that information is trickling in about Redshift3D would you mind sharing
how you are rating
Arnold and Vray in comparison? How about Clarisse as the new kid on the block?

In my understanding, Arnold has an edge when it comes to supported 3d
application plattforms
and the user choice of OS, with one license useable in all scenarios and
combinations.
There is SitoA, MtoA, C4DtoA, HtoA, support for OpenVDB and solid support for
rendering haircurves.

The caveats one may run into is best tried in an interior scene, a hero tree
element with lot´s of
overlapping, opacity mapped leaves, a few glass objects with lot´s of
reflection&refraction and
and actual test with a OpenVDB volume and light scattering through it.

For VRay, I´m not up to date currently so I would welcome any findings, I
always liked working with VRay
and would love to hear how other´s run VRay 3.x and how they like it, maybe
even comparing scenenarios
as I listed above for Arnold. Plus SSS.

Clarisse info would be generally nice to get.

All those of the above run on the CPU with one way or another of having more
than one CPU contribute
to a local rendering or a rendering in general, all of the above use the CPU,
some easily use all available CPUs in a network.

In comparison to that, a GPU based solution is a very specific solution to a
problem simply because GPU solutions aren´t
as widely supported as the general basis of computing to turn to (yet).

Cheers,

tim

P.S: Another thing you may want to test is how dependent you are on raytraced
SSS, Redshift doesn´t have that yet
and is using a pre-pass instead currently, which is worth checking in your
workflow expectations, comparing the
IPR preview with a final render and how you get there in something like Maya
IPR vs. Maya Rendering into Renderview.