I did that just yesterday and indeed... it gives you lots of control and speed. You have no collisions, but sometimes it's enough. For destruction stuff however, I doubt it. I used the same technique on this shot 2 years ago. https://vimeo.com/55545305 The length of the shot and the deadline didn't allow for RBD simulation. I needed something quicker.

Olivier, you can always have a look at this tutorial. http://vimeo.com/50751483 You need emTopolizer and the workflow is a bit convoluted, but it's true you can work faster this way. Maybe it's possible to use Simulate Bullet RigidBody on the particles at the end and set the particles sizes to match the poly chunks. That could work for real simple stuff.

Don't give up on Houdini. For destruction stuff, that's where the fun is.