We're still entirely in Softimage.

Our plan is still to move gradually over to Maya, but the lighting stage would remain in Softimage unless AD delivers better tools for this. XSI's pass system, rendering flexibility, and our commitment to using Redshift would probably keep us in Soft for our lighting stages, which Alembic readily allows. Maya just blows chunks in the rendering area, not to mention the funky render layer system.

Plus, I haven't finished writing our new SGTK apps, so I kinda need to get those done before we can really jump ship...

I say: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Cracks me up too, because these are areas that AD hasn't touched in many years. Soft is running circles around the other guys in several key areas, and it's doing it with years-old code.

I really like Modo, and I continue to actively test and provide feedback for The Foundry, but at Magnetic we couldn't do our animations in it just yet. Houdini is not a lighting option for us, as we're committed to Redshift at this point.

-Tim C.