If second-hand is an option, then it might would be a potential avenue or at least something.

Otherwise, unless being in the rather particular case of being a Softimage studio, (harder to come by these days)
or a freelancer, (not even a freelancer at a studios, but actually expecting to do Maya jobs at home),

that, or having a considerable amount of extra money to get the bundle for weekend experiments,

I don't see how paying perhaps twice what it should be (just for the "...with Softimage" part) can at-all be considered like an even remotely reasonable thing to do.

Except Maya is everywhere, and for long time users that know and have used Softimage, this is like the last chance.

And for the life of me, I'm sure there must be something possible other than either paying what most would consider a ridiculous amount of money, (just for the "...with Softimage" part) or resorting to cracks.

Perhaps a non-commercial version watermarked <Dead>? :/

Or perhaps as you say second-hand might be worth exploring that avenue, & thanks for the pointer.