Long ago, I adopted the method of creating different 'models' for assets.
One of them being a render version.  Always cached out, then apply cache to
render model and render scene.  Too many issues can pop up with rigs on a
farm.  Any pipeline I have been involved in setting up since then, has a
caching section firmly entrenched!

S.