You can create a random scalar attribute on an ice tree on each piece of
geometry. Put all the textures into the material using a coler switch node
and then call the attribute to switch tex per geometry. Also you could use
the color lookup node but doesn't work in Redshift :).  As for your method
I'm not sure if there is a way to control the image clip per geo.