Wasn't it to do with a bad investors' earnings briefing? Autodesk as a
company had missed it's earnings per share and even though media made up
15% of its budget (or maybe because of that) the least successful of the
three similar products got the chop. I think if there hadn't been a
panicked push for cost-cutting, XSI may have been around a while longer. As
I understood it, the purchases from Japan had dried up for a while. There
were multiple games that had been in development for a few years that were
coming to the end of their devs cycles, had been version locked and would
have been renewed at that point.

Anyway, conjecture on my part, but I think it's not fair to get angry at
one person for a corporate entity's missteps and falsehoods. I'm just
pissed that Autodesk bought them in the first place, the writing was on the
wall from then.