From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
<softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com> on behalf of Felix Geremus
<felixgere...@googlemail.com>
Sent: 20 February 2017 23:04:40
To: Official Softimage Users Mailing List.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/xsi_list
Subject: Re: Opinion gathering

I am on the Houdini train for a couple of months now. And I really like it for
the most part, especially the more technical aspects are incredible and way
better than Softimage ever was. But I am still confused by all the praise for
Houdini in certain areas like poly modeling or scene assembly. I'm still
learning (and I'm on my own) so there is a high chance that I might do
something wrong. But as an example I think the selection and interaction model
is a complete mess. Quickly selecting and modifying geometry, like in Soft or
even Maya is still almost impossible, at least for me. I can't see anybody
doing some serious modeling inside this tool. H16 seems to be a step in the
right direction, but especially for those "get it done as quick and dirty as
possible" type of jobs, I still don't think it's the right tool. For everything
else it's definitely the way forward.