I've never used Softimage's strands but from looking at this page
<http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/ICE_strands_CreatingStrands.htm>,
it seems straighforward to reproduce in Houdini. If you emit particles and
advect their position by the velocity of your volume, then you can use the
Trail SOP to retrieve the position of each particle at each frame up to say
5 frames before, which will give you 5 points for each particle that you
only need to connect together using Add SOP (Polygons -> By Group -> Add By
Attribute -> 'id'). Then you can edit/animate your velocity field in SOP to
give some variation to your particles, or use some POP nodes in your DOP
network. Finally, you can define a 'width' attribute representing the width
of the resulting curves at each point and render as-is, or plug-in a
Polywire SOP as you mentioned to output some polygons.

On 2 March 2017 at 18:05, Tim Bolland <tim_boll...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm after a little advice. I'm currently looking at building a
> some nice fluffy clouds made up of strands and from what I can see there a
> load of different ways to achieve something like this Houdini. Quite of few
> of the results I've seen demonstrated online are achieved by creating a
> velocity volume and drawing these the velocities out. These look nice but I
> cant really figure out a way to edit them afterwards. Other methods I've
> seen that look promising take points and running them through a Polywire,
> however there seem to a load of ways to group these points together and
> nothing is as succinct at position / strandposition
>

> What I'm wondering is what do you recommend? Is there a method of strand
> creation / manipulation that gives you a nice amount of flexibility and
> control? I've always been a huge fan of ICE strands, and the concept of
> starting with some points, building up strandpositions a long these points
> and controlling the properties of the strands by either the point ID or the
> strandposition ID.
>

> From what I can see there is not equivalent workflow that I can find, at
> least not out of the box. I can make polywires with ID's and manipulate
> this, but I'm still a little confused about the ID vs strandID context
> equivalent and how to manipulate each of them. Any advice would be
> appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Tim
>
> ------