Hi Tim,
Did you notice that you can do per-point array attributes in VEX? There's nothing stopping you setting up position vector arrays on each point, just like in ICE, and then using a Point Wrangle at the end to use that array to generate a polyline. The problem is that you then have to write all those handy ICE nodes like "Simulate Strands", etc. yourself.

That's why generally, you're better off just trying to use polylines as a primitive as they're more supported by Houdini's other frameworks (e.g. wire solver) and constraints.