If it does not crash within the UI, then exporting .ass from the UI seems to be
a solution.
Either only that one ref model or the whole scene.
(If nested .ass files work, but as rendering is creating some kind of .ass file
in memory, and you can use standins, it should work)

Last option: I have never tried it, but perhaps it is possible to batch render
with the XSI UI over the farm.
Two prequesites:
1) To test if the scene does not crash, you could reduce the resolution and
samples to a minimum
And execute this vbs line in XSI:
renderpass passName ,  ,  frstart,frend,frstep
2) Check if you can start and control the XSI UI via a script.

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night