Hi list,

I had several projects lately  that involved animated booleans with CAD
data, which is problematic sometimes. I used the old BoolTrace shader by
Alan Jones but it has its drawbacks: With many objects, using different
materials, it's hard to  keep track of the shaders. Another problem was,
that there is a limitation in the shader with reflections. Let's say you
have a box and a sphere and the box is cutting the sphere in half. If
another objects that is reflective, intersects the cutting volume (the box)
it will reflect the box by it's primary rays. I assume that is because the
shader interchanges primary and secondary rays under the hood. I could
potentially get it solved by using passes/partition trickery or another
shader to get selective reflections on object basis. However, this becomes
quite complicated with a handful ob objects, all using different materials.

On some projects I switched back to real (geo) booleans and fixed the
"popping" of meshes by slighty adjusting the fcurves or cleaning the
topology a bit, but its a hack. On another project I got away with slightly
incorrect reflections using render time booleans. At the end it worked
somehow but it was almost never elegant or straight forward.

Is there an alternative to the (rather old) booltrace shader for XSI?
Anything for redshift in that area? Last, not least, how do you approach
animated booleans with complicated/heavy meshes nowadays?

Thanks,

Sven