Well I find Maya less disappointing than what I expected : it's a
complete software and it's reassuring to find the same tools I had in
Softimage, but globally Maya seems less intuitive than Softimage.

I never tried to duplicate objects through animation yet in Maya, but
some other examples would be:

- painting skin weights: in Soft, pick a bone in the viewport, paint,
pick another bone, paint. In Maya the workflow in slower.

- in soft, when I select a bone in the weight editor, it's highlighted
in the viewport. In Maya it's the assigned vertex that are highlighted.
But this is not handy when you stumble upon a bone which do not have any
vertex assigned to it.

- In Soft, you parent everything under a model-null and in the scene
explorer you can unfold every node under the bone. In Maya, when I
parent a skeleton hierarchy or a character key set under and asset, they
are still visible under the root of the Outliner. AND they are visible
under the asset! To change that you have to change some kind of Outliner
view mode (advanced asset content): there are 4 of them but NONE of them
is satisfying as for organizing the Outliner in a logical way. This
drives me crazy.

That's when I miss XSI

David