I Agree.

I know that Houdini has a wider scope and thus more ability to achieve
ultimately whatever you want, than XSI / ICE.
However, in my character workflow, I’m diving into ICE, making a deformer,
going back and adding shapes, reading nearby surfaces, and in ICE using them to
rotate the vectors of shapes deltas, readjusting the shapes, and generally ping
ponging around between programming and using ‘traditional’ tools to feed into
the procedure that leads to the final result. In XSI that all happens without
the slightest delay or workaround as everything is just there. for me
personally, I can do everything i wish to do with ICE/XSI.
Obviously I know XSI inside out which helps, but my forays into Houdini never
give me hope that I will ever have that workflow at my fingertips.
I feel like it needs a layer above the deeper procedural approach, that gives
you some tools to manage blendshapes etc. Maya now has a decent version of
Softimage’s shape mixer. I know that Houdini doesnt’ want to keep its
‘everything procedural’ approach but sometimes you just want to make a shape
and thats it, and you might want to see it in context of the rig, and be able
to do a ‘secondary shape mode’ etc, and not have to make your own ‘tools’ to do
this. Sculpting is not something that fits well within Houdini’s philosophy,
but again ,if you want to do characters, then its a necessary thing to be able
to make poses look good. and you dont always want to export, Zbrush it, import.
hook up blendshape shape etc.. Slow stop-start workflows can stall your
creative flow.

I definitely think that if they can add a level of ‘art’ tools that can feed
back into the procedural system seamlessly without interfering , then it would
make Houdini more appealing and fun to use.