: But one benefit of having those documents pre-added is that you don't
: have to worry about *how* they get added.
: Doing it with a script on a windows box would require cygwin, and the
: right cygwin package containing curl for instance.

Ah yes ... i allways forget about those pesky windows users.  i was
assuming this demo would be unix native anyway bades on your description
on running it .. but now i realize the tomcat folks have probably already
put a good deal of effort into making a cross platform demo install that
you ment to piggy back on.

so yeah, prepopulating the index sounds like a good idea.

: Perhaps we need a java class that can do a simple http post?

I think eventually we need "sample imlimentations" of update/search
clients in several languages, but a reall striped down HTTPPoster class
with a main method that takes a url and an xml file name is a good idea.

-Hoss