Intresting...

I'd suggest to return 200 with XML-Response in case of any SOLR-related
problem (and leave some job to Tomcat).

Of course if our crawler do not use 'If-modified-since' (such HTTP should be
handled by 'front-end'/httpd/firewall/proxy before reaching JEE/SOLR
container)... We are mixing different transport layers...

RMI-IIOP does not use HTTP codes to pass Java Exceptions to remote client...