Yonik Seeley wrote:
On 4/5/07, Ryan McKinley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm certainly on board with adding a requestHandler mapping for "/update",
> but i'm not sure how i feel about changing it under the covers ...

I'm suggesting we keep /update mapped to SolrUpdateServlet in web.xml, but map:

  <requestHandler name="/update" class="solr.XmlUpdateRequestHandler" >

+1

I am not sure what we should do with the DispatchFilter handle-select parameter:
    <init-param>
      <param-name>handle-select</param-name>
      <param-value>true</param-value>
    </init-param>

Why do we need this parameter?  I thought that /select through
DispatchFilter would be backward compatible with the servlet's current
handling?  If that's the case, just have dispatch handle it and be
done with it.

Since writing this, I added SOLR-204 - this lets you configure if the DispatchFilter will handle select in solrconfig.xml rather then web.xml

If the configuration is in solrconfig.xml, we can set the example to use the dispatcher but still leave the option of the 'old' style servlet if that is desired. The only real difference between them is how errors are returned. The dispatcher calls req.sendError( code, msg ) while the servlet writes them out directly (causing them to be hidden by IE/FF)

SOLR-204 removes the <init-param>