On 12-Jun-07, at 2:36 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

On 6/12/07, Mike Klaas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The way I do field collapsing is simply gathering documents and
collapsing them until I've gathered X groups for user display (which
usually involves looking at a few tens of documents more, rather than
the entire 3,000,000+ result set).

Isn't this then dependent on the order of the documents in the index?
Or it sounds like you don't "promote" lower scoring documents into a
higher scoring group unless they both happen to be in the top docs
requested?

Precisely. I don't care how many docs are in a group, just avoiding displaying two documents in the same group. That way you can process the docs in score order for essentially zero cost.

-Mike