: And Jetty is what WE ship, not just me using it.  By definition, the container
: that we ship for our examples doesn't do logging right.  How would we expect
: anyone else to?

Jetty, in my opinion, doesn't do JUL logging wrong -- it just doesn't add
any bells and whistles.  It defers to whatever LogManager is specified for
the JVM it's running in.

We include Jetty in our releases for the sole, and explicit, reason that
it is a fairly scaled down and simplified container that let's us run a
single instance of the solr webapp in a portable way.  We've intentionally
left out a logging.properties file so that the log messages go to the
console for the purpose of seeing what's going on when doing the tutorial.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#head-a8f4473b60bbeeec2acc0aa1c73c67134d30ff5b

> Solr Comes with Jetty, is Jetty the recommended Servlet Container to use
> when running Solr?
>
> The Solr example app has Jetty in it just because at the time we set it
> up, Jetty was the simplest/smallest servlet container we found that
> could be run easily in a cross platform way (ie: "java -jar start.jar").
> That does not imply that Solr runs better under Jetty, or that Jetty is
> only good enough for demos -- it's just that Jetty made our demo setup
> easier.
>
> Users should decide for themselves which Servlet Container they consider
> the easiest/best for their use cases based on their needs/experience.
> For high traffic scenarios, investing time for tuning the servlet
> container can often make a big difference.

-Hoss