I'm a little late to the "should we change this before 1.3" part of the
discussion, but for hte record i'm -1 for this specific reason...

: Personally I'm -0 on this one.   Adding another syntax will possibly confuse
: users and us doing mailing list support when presented with bits of the config
: files.   More than one way to do something doesn't seem worthwhile here.

...having more then one config syntax is only going to confuse people ...
even if legacy configs can still be parsed, and even if we change all of
the example configs, people are still going to be confused.

-Hoss