Personally I'm -0 on this one. Adding another syntax will possibly confuse users and us doing mailing list support when presented with bits of the config files. More than one way to do something doesn't seem worthwhile here.

While in general I appreciate cleaning up any kind of XML config file syntax (by eradicating them altogether ;), I don't think we need to put this in Solr right now given we want Solr 2.0 to be Springified (can you even imagine how hideous the config will look then?!)

I'm even close to saying -1 on this, but I don't want to throw that much weight behind vetoing it - I really do like a cleaner syntax.

        Erik