On Aug 5, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
Well, we've been beating around the bush on 1.3 for a good amount of time now. How about we set a date and actually vote on it and thus make it pseudo-binding?

Finally!   (I'm of the "release early, release often" philosophy myself)

I see that we have 13 issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310230&fixfor=12312486

I'm adding SOLR-513 assigned to me to get done by our cut-off date. I've applied the patch locally, and will work through the SolrDispatchFilter pathPrefix issue and commit when all is well.

SOLR-545: Remove Default core in multicore.  No patch available.

+1  - thanks Ryan!

SOLR-506: Enabling HTTP Cache Headers should be configurable. Sounds ready to commit, right Shalin?

+1

SOLR-646: Config. props in multicore.xml Seems really useful, but is currently unassigned.

SOLR-614: Allow components to read any kind of XML. Has a couple of -1 on it that have been changed to -0

These two give me pause, not because they aren't clever and useful, but rather it pains me to see Solr take on so much config. management duties. It's a "code smell" to me to have a search engine be concerning itself deeply with configuration.

But in general these are indeed handy additions, provided they aren't abused.

SOLR-619: Dynamic copyField at runtime.  Rumor has it's completed...

Could the use case for this be explained? Why copyFields and not any other piece of config/schema?

0. Accept no more issues outside of this list, other than blockers for 1.3.

Let me add SOLR-513, and if for some reason it doesn't make it in, no big deal, but it'll be do-able by August 12.

1. Set August 12 as code freeze date. 1 week from today. After which, only doc changes and blockers are allowed. So, if the above isn't fixed by then, it's out unless someone wants to make it a blocker.

+1

2. Code Freeze in effect for 5 days for testing of release candidates. Thus, the 1.3 release, assuming all goes well will be on the 17th or 18th (since the 17th is a Sunday.) Thus SOLR-489 in theory need not be complete by the 12th, but the 18th instead, although we might as well get it done.

+1

What this means? Speak up now, unassign yourself, or otherwise "git 'r done" if you care about one of these issues.

I volunteer to be the release manager, unless someone else is dying to do it.

Thanks Grant for the prod!    Solr 1.3 here we come!

        Erik