LOL!

On Dec 4, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

While I'm on a roll tossing stuff out there....

Since SOLR-560, solr depends on SLF4j as the logging interface. However since we also depend on HttpClient we *also* depend on commons-logging. This is a strange. Our maven artifacts now depend on two logging frameworks!

However the good folks at SLF4j have a nice solution -- a drop in replacement for commons-logging that uses slf4j.

HttpClient discussed switching to SLF4j for version 4. They decided not to because the slfj4 drop-in replacement gives their users even more options. In Droids we had the same discussion, and now use commons-logging API.

So, with that in mind I think we should consider using the commons- logging API and shipping the .war file with the slf4j drop in replacement. The behavior will be identical and their will be one fewer libraries. The loss is the potential to use some of slf4j's more advanced logging features, but I don't see us taking advantage of that anyway.

ryan