but i don't think changing the api Solr compiles against to
commons-logging makes sense -- not since we're already using the
least common denominator API (slf4j)

sounds good.  I agree.

We could add a new dependency tomorow that uses log4j, and ship with
log4j-over-slf4j.jar; but would we then change the debate to whether the Solr code should use the commons API or the log4j API or the slf4j API?
... why bother when it's all going to go through slf4j anyway?

great.  as is, our .war ships with jcl-over-slf4j-1.5.5.jar

so I think we can put this discussion permanently in the bag.

ryan