First off, let me say that I would love to see translations of Solr docs.

My main concern is one of maintainability. If we agree to commit translations, then we as committers need to be able to maintain them as well. I am not sure which is worse, no translations or out of date translations.

Say, for example, that I make a patch that changes how the spell checker works in Solr. As an English speaker, I can easily update the English docs as part of my patch, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with, say, Swahili (picking a language I feel safe saying that none of our committers speak for an example, not b/c anyone is proposing a Swahili translation). So, now, it is up to the community to fix that documentation. Which, is, of course, fine, except I'd venture to say most committers wouldn't even be in the position to know whether the patch is good, so we'd have to take it on faith. Committing on faith isn't usually a good thing.

We should look into how other Apache projects handle it before committing to saying we are going to support other languages. I can ask over on commun...@apache.org if people would like.