: It is similar, indeed, but I think it results in there only ever being one
: active Solr example and the user need not worry about setting solr home.

Hmmm... this seems like a bad idea.

we want to make sure that *users* who have downloaded Solr can run all of
the examples without needing ant ... having a single "active" example and
using an ant target to change it would mean that if i install solr and
then go through the tutorial (using the tutorial example), i would need to
(understand and run) ant to see the DIH example.

It seems like it would make a lot more sense to have lots of examples and
let the user set the solr home to try them out -- that's very easy to do.

I'm not sure i really understand the concern about how long "ant example"
takes ... it's a build time task, and it only take ~15 seconds on my box
if everything is up to date (if everything isn't up todate then
compilation is going to take much longer then what "example" does) ... the
longest contributor to the time seems to be contrib/javascript's "docs"
target -- but i'm guessing some ant tricks to check directory mod times
before runing the jsrun.jar could shave that off as well.

-Hoss