On 7-May-09, at 10:36 AM, jayson.minard wrote:

Does every thread really need to notify the update handler of the commit
interval/threshold being reached, or really just the first thread that
notices should send the signal, or better yet a background commit watching thread so that no "foreground" thread has to pay attention at all. That is assuming they wouldn't need to block like they are now for a reason I'm
likely unaware of...

This is due to the way Lucene was designed (although recent improvements in Lucene mean we can do better here). See the recent thread "Autocommit blocking adds?" on solr-user for a related discussion.

As the person who first wrote the multi-threaded-ness of DUH2, I'd be very happy to promptly review any improvements made to it.

-Mike