The change to make commit consistent is possible during the call-back, I was
trying to avoid that level of lock if possible but if it is the contract of
that callback then we have to maintain it.

Would be nice to be able to do the snapshot first, then release the lock and
call the callback on the snapshot instead of holding a lock.  But it really
isn't built that way currently with only one callback event.