This proposal was just for the next (1.5?) release cycle though.

Lucene 2.9 is going to beat Solr 1.4 in any case I think, so it would seem to make sense to go with it, and so this won't be an issue for this release. For 1.5, we can just run as normal, and I guess, and plan to release a bit after the next version of Lucene releases. Then take it a release at a time based on how things go in Lucene land?

I agree though - there is rapid movement in Lucene these days, and things can be pulled back or altered fairly easily during trunk dev. Sometimes even index format changing issues - which can be a real pain (having suffered that first hand in the past). The closer we can stay to actual Lucene releases in general, the better I think.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
I kind of agree... But will this (not) affect how quickly new features in
Luceneland will get their Solr support?  In other words, if we have to wait for
a proper Lucene release, doesn't that mean that:

1) Solr releases will depend on Lucene releases (unless there are some
Solr-only changes that don't depend on newer version of Lucene)
2) Solr releases will lag Lucene releases quite a bit because only after Lucene
has been released Solr developers/contributors will be able to start work on
integrating new Lucene features into Solr?

Otis