On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Chris
Hostetter<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:
> : This proposal was just for the next (1.5?) release cycle though.
> : I agree though - there is rapid movement in Lucene these days, and things
> can
> : be pulled back or altered fairly easily during trunk dev. Sometimes even
> : format changing issues - which can be a real pain (having suffered that
> first
> : hand in the past). The closer we can stay to actual Lucene releases in
> : general, the better I think.
>
> I suggest we not worry about it too much until the situation arrises.

I'm calling attention to it because I don't believe the move to
2.9-dev was ever discussed on solr-dev.
AFAIK it was committed as part of SOLR-805... something I missed, and
I doubt I'm the only one.

The default should be to use released Lucene versions, and we should
reluctantly move off of that.

> Once upon a time the decision to bump the lucene-java rev in Solr was
> drien largely based on wether we people that that version was had useful
> additions *and* was relatively "solid".  My impression more recently is
> that people have been bumping the rev primarily with the
> features/improvements in mind, and less consideration of the stability --
> probably due to the (completely valid) assumption that solr trunk doesn't
> *need* to be any more stable then the lucene-java trunk, so we might as
> well go ahead and rev and help shake things out.

Right - if we're relatively sure that a Lucene release is imminent
(and will happen before a Solr release), it's not such a bad idea to
upgrade.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com