On Nov 15, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Is it at all meaningful to think about a function query acting as a Filter?
>>>  The basic idea being that if the score was above/below some value
>>> (presumably 0 by default), then that particular document would be on/off.
>>
>> frange?
>>
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/tag/frange/
>
> This might have legs...  In combination with the new Distance functions I
> committed yesterday:
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=*:*&fq={!frange%20l=0%20u=5}dist%282,%2032,%20-80,%20lat,%20lon%29
>
> As I see it, I can now filter, boost and sort (using the ^0 workaround) by
> distance using Function queries.  I've only tested on a small index so far
> (68K geo-locations), but will try to use something bigger once I get it
> indexed.

One of the other things I think we are going to need is a cache for functions
that are used this way.  For instance, in the geo case, it is likely that we
would both filter and score by distance, so it would be nice to have them
cached.  Or, at least cached for the life of the request.  Not sure if we need
a longer term cache or not.  It would also be nice to be able to say "don't
cache this" on a per request basis.

-Grant