so I don't think any sort of
generic cache is needed for geo.

Agreed, no generic cache for geo. Was thinking about a generic cache for function calculations.

I think even more generally would be good -- an easy way to share calculations between anything in the request cycle: function query, search components, request handlers, response writers.

To avoid adding dependencies to stuff that does not need it, perhaps it makes sense to use the 'inform' model we have for SolrCoreAware type things.

Perhaps (bad name as i'm just throwing stuff out there) SharedContextAware / inform( SharedContext )

ryan

Potentially, we could have the need: sort, filter, facet and boost by function. And that calculation is likely the same over and over within a given request. Of course, if we add the pseudo-fields, then that effectively acts as a cache for the request.

-Grant