: > What would a 1.9 release mean in solr?
:
: Dooh -- after hitting send, i realized it would just mean:
: Whatever we would do for the next release, but say 'after this, old APIs won't
: be supported'

but even that is still a vague statement: are we talking about the
internal/plugin Java APIs, or to the user/HTTP request APIs?

this is why we've never tried to suggest that Solr has the same back
compat policy/concerns as Lucene -- because changes in the Solr Java APIs
aren't as big of a deal between versions as they are in Lucene -- it's
changes in the user level API that we should be the most worried about,
because 95% of the people using Solr don't give a shit about what the java
internals look like.

like i said: i'd rather we just write the code we think we need to write,
and change the code we think w need to change, and when we decide to
release it, we should then ask ourselves "what name/number should we put
on this release to convey how significant the changes are" ... becuase all
the version number really is, is a marketing tool for conveying
information to our users.

-Hoss