On Dec 9, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

>> Any parser that does that is so broken that you should stop using it
>> immediately. --wunder
>
> Walter, totally agree here.

To elaborate my position:

1. Validation is a user option. The XML spec makes that very clear. We've had
10 years to get that right, and anyone who auto-validates is not paying
attention. Validation is very useful when you are creating XML, rarely useful
when reading it.

2. XML namespaces are string prefixes that use the URL syntax. They do not
follow URI rules for anything but syntax and there is no guarantee that they
can be resolved. In fact, an XML parser can't do anything standard with the
result if they do resolve. Again, we've had 10 years to figure that out.

Yes, this can be confusing, but if a parser author can't figure it out, don't
use their parser because they are already getting the simple stuff wrong.

wunder